Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Dyeing...

The last time I did a major dyeing it was before a quilt show and I did about 200 yards of fabric to sell. I did a lot of colors in various shades and combinations that other people like. This time I did a big batch of fairly clear colors along with compliments...on the same pieces of fabric. It has been so fun to fondle the colors as I have been ironing these pieces.

I have a front load washing machine that uses very little water. I have found that I can dump all the dried dyed pieces of fabric in a cold water rinse and then wash in hot water if I do it in a top loader that will hold a lot of water. Not so in the front loader. So I have gone over to my daughter's house to do my washing. It sure is a lot better than hand rinsing all that fabric!! Even my very deeps have come out beautifully that way. Got very deeps, mediums and lights so I am all set.

Right now though I am working on my fences collage quilt. Thinking about circles which are in the fences and incorporating them. Maybe in a day or two I will have something to show.

And also, ruminating around in the back of my mind is the issue of shape...I want to work out a shape I really want to experiment with. I've used circles, cut out circles, squares, triangles, rectangles, etc so I am contemplating some other shape. Oh well, it's good exercise while I work on this painting/collage/quilt.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful results. I have mine in the dryer and am on my way down to do my cold water rinse....

teri

Karoda said...

I cannot imagine doing 200 yards! But I agree with Teri, your results look so yummy!

Frances said...

shapes, what about ellipses or ovals, crescents, polygons.....
you will find the right one Liz,