Tuesday, December 05, 2006

36 Days to go

Who cares about Christmas? I'm having the greatest time with Advent...contemplating, listening, thinking and finally, doing some art work. (Well, I really do look forward to Christmas but Advent has all the religious meanings for me)

Just before Thanksgiving I came down with a humongous head cold. It put me in bed for three days (which doesn't happen very often) and then finally I was able to go out, buy a turkey and the other stuff and return to bed. Then, each day I did a little bit more towards dinner since we had 14 people coming over. I got the heirloom damask table cloth (which is huge) on to our extended table, which seats 14, and just focused on the food. Things were actually pretty easy as I didn't stuff the turkey and it came out the best we have ever had. Took only 4 hours for a 23 pounder and it was moist, tender and great. The stuffing was cooked in its own pan. Made two apple pies, etc.

Once my daughter got here she organized the other two young women who got the table set. My dear daughter figured out all the serving bowls, etc and put labels in them so we could keep it straight. With 14 at the table, we have two of everything so you don't have to wait forever to get your food. Then my son-in-law came in, mashed the potatoes, carved the turkey, and away we went to the table. It was a nice gathering and it was nice having my father with us...not only alive but looking good and with a sense of humor.

Well, two weeks later and I am still coughing but finally am not sleeping more that I am awake. I also have some energy coming back.

So, yesterday I started doing some discharging. About a month ago someone posted a web site that had tire treads on it. I downloaded pictures, and then started tweaking them in PhotoShop and printed out copies to make thermofax screens. What a hoot! I have printed a bunch of them with ink and now have discharged a bunch. They are ready for the next layer to make complex cloth. And then I worked on even more...including a picture of barbed wire, bark, and all sorts of other things, including the air vent in the hallway at the convention Tire treads warped

center in Houston which I took last year. So much fun!




Barbed wire and the air vent at Houston


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, so sorry you got sick. You weren't feeling well at Tahoe so maybe it finally got you down, byt glad you are up and creating. I love these screens!!

Anonymous said...

OMG, these are great! Who'd a thunk? Now you've got me looking at all kinds of things.

cfent said...

the air vent is too cool!!!
they all are....
you are on to somehting here.....
hope you feel better.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, simply wonderful
Glad you are feeling better, this same cold is sweepin the UK at the moment

Margaret McCarthy Hunt said...

GOD I have had that heinous bug too but mine turned into a chest cold aka bronchitis...never seems to want to go away..odd to think its as wide spread as CA...

THese tire tread things are grat...thanks for sharing:>>> I am mostly watercoloring right now or knitting...bytw I htink i would have had to skip that big damask table cloth...why dont you dye it?:> Thats what i have done with mine but they werent heirloom...they were flea market:>

Unknown said...

Liz........we met at the last SAQA.....and we have important things in common......grandsons named Jacob! mine is almost 8 months and the light of my life. I also have the scourge of the fall.........cold achy etc and it does not want to go away. Loved the results of the abstract challenge in Quilt Arts... Hope you feel better soon. Also am trying abstract on my current piece. Fun to play!!!!!