Saturday, November 08, 2008

Time to Leave

This has been a tremendous week of hard work and great fun and lots of growth. I have had such a delightful time with this group of women. It has been so exciting to see people recognize that they are artists and have some ability and will keep on working to create even more art. Each person has wandered through the exercises and have made their own work in their own way. For some, working with fused fabric allowed more spontaneity, for some working in the abstract was a little difficult. But all created some wonderful designs.

The first three days were spent working through the exercises and elements and principles of design. On Wednesday they each started making for 8 x 10's which have been posted. They continued working on those on Thursday, some doing some stitching and some waiting to stitch until they return home. And then they got started making even more art!

Unfortunately I did not get pictures of all the work that each person was producing. I don't know quite how that happened but it did.

So enjoy the ideas coming from my students!

Suzanne was working really hard and created some great pieces:

Susan H. finished off this little piece and went on to do several more which I did not all get but here is one more of them:



Our other Susan went charging ahead and did this piece and one other that I just didn't get a picture of but was just great and so very different!



And then Sheila, from Canada, went to town! She finished two of her 8 x 10 pieces and put together these two small pieces, working from her design thumbnails:



Not to be outdone, Moira from Tasmania, Austria, produced a number of interesting pieces but unfortunately I failed to get pictures of them buthere is one:


Melinda worked on a eye study for three pieces, did several other interesting things and finished up with the dancers below:


Mary was also very busy and created this piece which is ready for quilting:


Alison came in with three huge notebooks of photographs from her travels all over the world and said she needed to learn how to focus as she just had too many ideas. She created several great pieces, which, again I didn't get photographed but these two studies were done from her thumbnails, same image but different color ways.


And, last, but not least, Alice did the stitching on the piece she had started earlier and also did other work which I didn't get.


As a teacher, I can't tell you how happy I am to watch students absorb so much, internalize it and play with it.

I leave for home this afternoon and return to my own commitments for a magazine article due in a couple of days. I am also still waiting to hear exactly what the county is looking for in their commission as in December I will need to submit some samples to the board for their final input. And then to get another article done! Well, at least I don't have to pack up and ship anything for Form Not Function at the Carnegie! Didn't get in there this time so will try again.

3 comments:

Gerrie said...

I am so impressed with the student work. I would love the luxury of being in the studio with you for a week!

I forgot to enter Form Not Function this year, so busy with my other work.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Great fun to see your student's workL fabulous pieces. Thanks for sharing.
Shirley

Doreen K. said...

Fabulous!!! They had way to much fun. I am so jealous. You are a great teacher.