Thursday, November 20, 2008

Red Blocks

Tuesday night I went to bed but could not sleep. I had seen someone's art work which really got me thinking about possibilities and why we do things the way we do and stay in a rut. For instance, why do I feel I need to work in three layers? Why do I feel paper collage needs to be separate from art? What I am doing with fabric is really collage...what else can I incorporate?

So I was up until 2 am thinking and sketching and taking notes. This was about painting on raw canvas and using the canvas as the fabric and forgetting backing and batting. Part of this I had worked through with my piece, White Washing the War, which used a collage process with all sorts of things and never had a back or a batting and had raw canvas edges that were stitched to keep them from ravelling any more.

Up Tuesday morning bright and early with just five hours of sleep and off to the studio I went. Red has been on my mind. Not due to political reasons but because it is a color I really like. So I cut up some canvas scraps and started sketching lines and squares and then painting them...first the squares and lines in red and then the background in off-white and white combinations. Then home I went to add some sewing to them. These are my first ideas. More to come.

So what do you think? Red Blocks 1-4 are for a 4x6 mat opening and 5-8 are for a 5x7 opening. They are not finished for showing as they stand bu should be matted and framed, with or without glass. The 4x6 pieces are $40 and the 5 x 7 are $50. I will include shipping. Let me know if you are interested.


Red Blocks 1 4 x6


Red Blocks 2 4x6


Red Blocks 3 4x6


Red Blocks 4 4x6


Red Blocks 5 5x7 SOLD

Red Blocks 6 5x7


Red Blocks 7 5x7


Red Blocks 8 5x7

4 comments:

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

Liz,

I'm really drawn to to 5 and 6, but they are all wonderful, separately and as a series. It would be a shame to break the set up, but... I'm emailing you :)

Carol Dean

Candied Fabrics said...

I love the texture you've got in the backgrounds!

Norma Schlager said...

I also like the way you've painted the background for added texture and your variable satin stitching. There is a lot to be said for red and white, so dramatic and it makes a big statement for a small piece.

frazzledsugarplummum said...

I like them very much ..especially the textured background and the torn slash of red.
Shirley