Monday, September 29, 2008

What isn't going to Quilt National

This year I had the audacity to enter two things into Quilt National...couldn't show them before but since they have said Thanks, but no thanks, I can share them with you!

Below is a large Color Blocks piece aptly titled: Color Blocks 40 (you can tell how many I have done by the numbers...)

This was done with commercial fabrics so I had questions about their interest since they tend to like hand dyed, hand painted, etc.



And then, this one, called California Dreaming 3, Central Valley.

This piece is the third of a series I am doing about different parts of California. I really liked it and it is really big but I guess it just wasn't good enough...or, better yet, there were a lot more that were far better than this.Oh well, off they go as entries to other shows...you get accepted in some and you get rejected in far more! The way of the artist!

12 comments:

Linda Teddlie Minton said...

Oh WOW, Liz, these two pieces just blow me away. I'm fascinated with the detail in California Dreaming 3, and I'm totally in love with Color Blocks 40. I hope to see them at another show.

Gerrie said...

I love both of these, but especially the CA Dreaming. I love that series very much. I am about to post my pieces on my blog. I have been at EFM - we are in the Middle Ages - loving it!!

Françoise said...

Both are beautiful.
Too bad they said "no thanks"!

Tina Marie Rey said...

These are really great pieces and thanks for sharing them now with the masses! I really enjoy the color and movement in the first piece.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Both are wonderful....but I'm really drawn to the first one.

Norma Schlager said...

I like them both, but especially Color Blocks. It really has a "wow" factor. I'm sure that some other show would love to have them. As Tim Gunn would say, "Carry on!"

Roberta Ranney said...

Beautiful work - I particularly like California Dreaming. It draws me in. Thanks for sharing both of these. As my husband said when one of my works was not accepted, "their loss"!

Anonymous said...

I drive through the Central Valley quite often, and I love the colors of the sky against the hills. I always think I should make a quilt to reflect that, but of course I haven't. Then I saw your California Dreaming today and it is exactly what I feel when I am in that moment! I love it!

Unknown said...

Your work is stunning- but everyone already knows that (except the show dudes- they clearly don't know what they're looking at). Your experience is partly why I don't enter shows of any kind any more: 1) I'm man enough to admit that I crumble in the face of rejection and 2) My work is no where near the level displayed by yours and others I drool over.
Thank (insert diety here) for artists like yourself who represent not only your voice but the voices of the rest of us fraidy-cats.

TracyB said...

Beautiful pieces!! This was the first year that I entered into Quilt National & I was rejected as well. I didn't expect to get accepted but it still would have been sweet!

frazzledsugarplummum said...

Well I love them.........so different to each other.
Thanks for sharing them.
Shirley

Vivien Zepf said...

Both are fabulous, but I must admit to being partial to California Dreaming. That one evokes special memories of our family trips.