Thursday, April 05, 2007

New Man in my Life

I now have a new man in my life...but maybe he should go through a sex change and become Georgey...
George arrived yesterday...I was given a 9-1 pm window on Tuesday and told them to deliver it to my studio and not my home. Well, yesterday at 12:50 my husband called to let me know that they had come to the house and he had given them all the information about how to get to my studio. So about thirty minutes later there is a knock on the door and George has arrived. This was the first day on the job for my delivery man. We got George himself out of the truck without any problems...a big box for a large, but very light machine. It came very well padded and packed.

And then getting the crate out of the truck which housed the cabinet, out of the street and on to the sidewalk and then to the door of the studio. I had told myself that I needed to take photos but of course I became too involved in helping since this job really required two people...I just assumed the driver was going to help me uncrate this thing and get it it.

Again, very impressive packing. Evidently they used to send them completely built but had problems with them arrived damaged. I heard then that the were shipping them not completely assembled so was prepared to put a cabinet together. Nope, came all together...a cabinet which, when closed is 23 x 60" and whatever height cabinets are. It had a top and bottom of plywood and big boards, pieces of plywood on the corners to reinforce it and them 2x4's on the bottom for a fork lift....big and very heavy.

We had to uncrate it outside before we could get it in the studio. And then, the fun of trying to get it in to the studio past my landlady's portion and around the corner. Finally got it in. The cabinet is wonderful, has casters so I can push it up to the wall when I am not using it and has lots of fold outs for supporting the quilt you are sewing.

I can lift up George, all by himself, very easily with one hand. The thing is light...all made out of aluminum and beautifully done. He is one hunk!

I got to put the things on and set him into the cabinet. By the time I had everything together it was after 4 pm and I had told my husband I would be home about 5pm. Well, had to take time out to make a test quilt sandwich and see how it goes. However, forgot my quilting gloves. It is just wonderful and is now waiting for me at the studio to come in a finish one quilt. Yesterday I got three more sandwiched, turned and ironed and ready to quilt. That is what I am doing this afternoon!

And then my 120" batting arrived and it is loaded in to the car so that I can take it down to the studio and cut off a 9' x 11' piece to start my commission. I had planned out one design but in thinking about the buyer's comments and what she liked, have come up with another plan. This is going to be so cool. I was talking to friends last night about the size of this quilt...it really is bed size so I don't know what the big deal is...it is a 87 x 117" quilt....piece of cake...talking about feet makes it sound even bigger...and the fact that it will take up the whole design wall and isn't made in units like a regular quilt and then sewn together...

So, here's my new man:


And from my side of the table:



I will have to take a picture of all of the leaves out on the cabinet...this is just George and the piece I am ready to finish this afternoon.

It is all coming together!

So, I pull out the next card in my Wisdom cards and it says "I have unlimited potential."
Now, isn't that just right! Of course, it goes for all of us. On the back it says: "loving myself and thinking joyful, happy thoughts is the quickest way to create a wonderful life."

Aren't those nice words to start the day off with!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How exciting! You are going to love it! I have their Millennium longarm and it's just the sweetest machine.

Anonymous said...

WOOO HOOO! Welcome, Gorgeous George - I'm sure you will have a long and happy relationship!

PaMdora said...

Hey, good to see you back at the creative work, nothing like a new toy for inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Oh, wow! I am so jealous. Wished I lived closer so that I could rent time with George!!

QuiltingFitzy said...

When you're having your way with George, don't forget "all us little people", lol.

Have fun!

Rayna said...

LizzieB - you are just a dynamo!
Next week should be a vacation for you.

Anonymous said...

Liz, I'm just green with envy. What a cool machine!!! But I am curious and have to ask, why this particular machine over a longarm? Have fun playing with your new man.

lizzieb said...

Michele,
This is a long arm...it just is not on a frame and rails which takes up too much room. This is just perfect for me!
Liz

Lisa Walton said...

Wow - can't wait to see what you and George get up to