Monday, July 20, 2009

the Lost Blogger

During Open Studios, I hurt my back between the weekends. This then turned in to sciatica which put me into the recliner for two weeks, including sleeping. I managed to get about 5 hours or sleep a night so was not doing very well.

I was getting better and then I decided it was time to pull some weeds in the front yard. Wrong thing to do. The back acted up again. Another week in the recliner. Not fun.

Mt Shasta
We took out the RV and headed off to join our daughter and her family at Siskiyou Lake near Mt.Shasta in northern California. They had been camping in their tent trailer for a week when we joined them.

Ashton with a very dirty face

I spent a lot of time on the couch which was fine because I got to listen to music while everyone else was out watching the parade, fishing, etc. I enjoyed the down time and did a lot of observation of the light on the manzanita outside the motorhome. I even did some sketching.

Jacob with his dad and hisfish

The Sacramento River in the mountains
Another view

I am finally back in the studio and doing some different work. It feels good to be there.

George and I rekindle our love affair

I started dong some doodling on plain which fabric after finishing several other pieces. It has turned in to a roots series.

Roots
Roots detail
New untitledwork
Another new piece untitled

Well, I have more to share but it is time to go to bed. I promise I will put up more images tomorrow.

6 comments:

Gerrie said...

I'm digging the new work. No pun intended! I have the sciatica pain in my hip and have been sleeping with a special gizmo between my legs. It seems to be helping.

LuAnn Kessi said...

Hi Liz......good to hear your back is on the mend. Enjoyed your new post. I am strongly considering the purchase of a George. I was wondering if you might give me some pros and cons about your George?
Many Thanks,
LuAnn in Oregon
http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/

LuAnn Kessi said...

Just me again Liz......I forgot to click on.....Email follow-up comments......so I can read your thoughts on your George machine.
LuAnn in Oregon
http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/
kessi@pioner.net

lizzieb said...

Hi LuAnn
Learning to use George was not too difficult. I have been doing free motion quilting for years. There are some learning curves about keeping your quilt moving under the machine, especially when changing direction so the thread doesn't break. Tension can be difficult to work out, depending upon the tread you are using in the top and the bottom. I have a wide range of needle sizes to accommodate different threads. It is important to clean the machine every day you use it. It runs like a charm all day long.It doesn't work for really heavy quilts and fabric that is heavily painted can create some problems. The support at APQS is wonderful and will stay on the line with you as you try to work out the problem.

LuAnn Kessi said...

Thanks Liz for your input on George.
I am hoping to sit down and test drive a George soon.
LuAnn in Oregon
http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/

bj parady said...

I really like the lines you're making--but maybe because I make similar circles. But the whole root idea is one I will enjoy seeing you explore.