Tuesday, June 27, 2006

New Work

So this past weekend I did some more dyeing...this time using my flat boards. I don't want to spend the money that Melody Johnson did for her acrylic plates, plus I don't have the drying racks she has. But the temperature was in the high 90's so things dried pretty quickly.












I finally finished that piece that was a little pouffy....I did all of the heavy stitching in the blocks and then into the orange and turquoise areas in the background. Then all the rest of the background needed to really get quilted flat which I did with a meandering stitch. This piece uses dyed fabric for the background and monoprinted fabrics for the blocks.

And the I finished the piece with the dyed fabrics I overdyed, using washers clamped together to make the yellow circles. This was a lot of fun to do. I have even done some beading in the yellow circles which doesn't show up very well in the photo.

Well, have to trim that big piece that I quilted on the long arm, fix a couple of places that I had to take out and put a facing on the piece.

Then I am finally ready to start some new work. I want to make two stoles, a veil and altar frontal for our church in the ordinary greens...have an idea for fusing various green fabrics on to the stoles (using silk) and then maybe adding some highlights. Well, we'll see. The ideas are starting to flow!



4 comments:

Gerrie said...

I love the piece with the circles. I am in a creative lull. I need a kick in the but to get me moving again.

Karoda said...

The first photo I thought was a a quilt but upon closer admiration I realized it was 3 pieces of dyed cloth against a light background.

Michele said...

I want to come and play at your house. Your having way more fun. The only thing I've hung out to dry lately is the laundry. By the way...I love the two quilts. Am really impressed with the washer fabric. Your visions of completion are amamzing.

jackie said...

The dyed cloth looks stunning - I bet you will just keep it to stroke for a while.